Wedding flowers are one of the most important elements of your big day. Not only do they provide color and scent, but they symbolize life, growth, and rebirth. So how do you find the right florist to provide your wedding flowers, what questions should you ask them, and when should you sign a contract with a florist? Here are those answers and more.
Finding a Florist
Word of mouth can be a good way of knowing about a good wedding florist, information from family and friends or reviews is a sign of a well known and good floral wedding designer. You can also go to bridal shows, or simply look in the phone book and on the internet. It would be worth making consultations with at least three different florists. This will allow you to talk with them about your wedding and what kind of flowers will actually suit your style and taste. When you visit the shop, take a look around to see the vibe and feel they like to give to their customers. It’s important you have a good communication with the designer so u both knows what to expect.
It’s important to see some photographic evidence of their previous weddings they have catered for and how the flowers can suit various venues. This is important as it is always interesting to see what your flowers may look like, you may like the flowers on their own but among a big space with decorations it may not look as powerful. Which is why at Drake Algar we always provide images of our experience with previous weddings, it would also be an idea to bring with you some ideas.
Talk to the florist about your ideas don’t be afraid to bring swatches of bridesmaid dresses, pages from magazines with bouquets and floral arrangements that you like, the type of container you’d like to use, and any ideas you may have. Make sure that the florist is receptive to your ideas, and that they are willing to listen to your vision. You’ll want to feel comfortable with this person so make sure that they are the one who will be personally responsible for your arrangements. You’ll also want to make sure that they think your budget is realistic for your ideas.
The florist will ask you for an approx budget spend for the your flowers, this is just so they get a gist of what kind of flowers can be used and how they can go about organizing the information you need for your particular flowers. Wedding flowers can be particularly pricey, especially if your after something totally unique and different from the usual wedding ceremony, however many feel it’s worth the extra few quid so you get something that extra special on your big day.
When to book your florist
This depends on how long you have to plan your wedding, but a general guideline is to start talking to your florist about 6 to 8 months before your wedding, and sign a contract with them about 3 to 5 months before the big day
What you’ll need to know before you can book a florist for your wedding flowers
- You’ll need to have booked your ceremony site, and know how many arrangements you’ll need to decorate it
- You’ll need to have booked your reception site, and know the prominent colors of the venue. This is so the flowers don’t clash.
- If you are doing floral centerpieces, you’ll need to know approximately how many wedding guests you are having, and thus how many centerpieces you’ll need. Obviously this can depend on the amount of guests or how big the tables are.
- How many bridesmaids you are having, and the color of their dresses
- The number of corsages (for mothers, grandmothers, and sometimes readers or other special guests) and boutonnieres (for the groom, groomsmen, ushers, and sometimes readers or other special guests).
- If you’ll need separate arrangements for the rehearsal dinner, post-wedding brunch, entryways, bathrooms, gift or cake tables, or buffet tables
All this information will be useful to know to help you talk it through with the florist. It will make things go much smoother and quicker if you know this information before you meet.
What to ask the florist
- Images of recent wedding photo’s they have catered for, and will the same person be organizing and arranging your flowers?
- How many other weddings and events will you do the same weekend as my event? (this gives you an idea of how much time and attention they’ll spend on your wedding flowers)
- What flowers will be in season and less expensive for my wedding? How can I maximize my budget?
- Can you tell me some ideas and creative ideas you may have they have been successful in the past?
- Are there any additional costs such as delivery?
- Do you have rental supplies (such as vases, urns, candelabras and potted plants) or do I need to use a separate rental company?
As it’s your big day and you want it to be perfect make sure they are fully on board and committed in providing you with the best service and flowers they have. At Drake Algar we make sure that all these conditions are met and provide an outstanding wedding floral service to all our clients.